Become an AVMA Fellow
AVMA Fellowship Program
Veterinarians have an unusual set of talents that give them the opportunity to make profound changes, as long as they are given a chance to do it. Their broad scientific and medical knowledge is exactly what is needed to help guide decisions in the halls of power. It can be easy to get tied down to a routine that allows our goals to get pushed back.
Whether you are finding a professional path, or looking for a new one, the American Veterinary Medical Association’s Fellowship Program offers you the chance to make a difference in the veterinary profession and the world we live in today. Whether you have just graduated from veterinary school or have years of experience, the program gives veterinarians a chance to try something new and different.
- serve for one year in Washington D.C. as scientific advisors to members of Congress.
- play pivotal roles in shaping and influencing key legislation affecting the veterinary profession, and the health and safety of our nation.
- receive a stipend of approximately $83,000 to offset the cost of living and reimbursement for certain expenses incurred during the Fellowship.
- receive up to $6,000 to offset the cost of health insurance premiums.
- represent the veterinary profession in the legislative branch of government.
- use science-based decision making in public policy development.
- influence important public policy discussions.
- network with leaders at the top tier of federal government.
What Does It Take To Be A Fellow?
- Must be an advocate for veterinary medicine
- Have an interest in public policy and/or politics
- Demonstrate competence in an area of veterinary medicine
- Exhibit an interest in applying scientific knowledge to address societal/public policy issues
- Analyze, identify, and easily explain core scientific issues to a variety of audiences
- Be able to write persuasively and convincingly
- Must be an AVMA member and U.S. citizen
- Possess the ability to pass a government background investigation
The 2017-2018 AVMA Fellowship Program, in conjunction with the American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellowship Program, will run from the last week in August 2017 until August 2018.
The application for the 2017-2018 AVMA Fellowship Program will be available in the fall of 2016. The deadline to apply will be Feb. 10, 2017.
You can find more information about the program on the AVMA website.