Become an AVMA Fellow
AVMA Congressional Science Fellowships
Veterinarians have an unusual set of talents that give them the opportunity to make profound changes, as long as they are given a chance to do it. Their broad scientific and medical knowledge is exactly what is needed to help guide decisions in the halls of power. It can be easy to get tied down to a routine that allows our goals to get pushed back.
Whether you are finding a professional path, or looking for a new one, the American Veterinary Medical Association’s Congressional Science Fellowship offers you the chance to make a difference in the veterinary profession and the world we live in today. Whether you have just graduated from veterinary school or have years of experience, the program gives veterinarians a chance to try something new and different.
The 2015-2016 AVMA Fellowship Program, in conjunction with the American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellowship Program, will run from the last week in August 2015 until August 2016.
What Does It Take To Be A Fellow?
• Must be an advocate for veterinary medicine*
• Have an interest in public policy and/or politics
• Demonstrate competence in an area of veterinary medicine
• Exhibit an interest in applying scientific knowledge to address societal/public policy issues
• Analyze, identify, and easily explain core scientific issues to a variety of audiences
• Be able to write persuasively and convincingly
• Must be an AVMA member and U.S. citizen
• Possess the ability to pass a government background investigation
The submission deadline has passed. Look for information regarding the 2016-2017 cycle soon.
In addition to the application form, your application package must include:
• A letter of intent
• Curriculum vitae
• A letter of support from applicant’s local, state, specialty, or allied veterinary medical association
• Two (2) letters of reference from professional colleagues
• A personal statement (no more than 750 words) describing your qualifications, commitment to veterinary medicine, and why the fellowship is desired
You can find more information about the program on the AVMA website: https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/getinvolved/Pages/AVMA-Fellowship-Program.aspx